Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information.
This policy describes:
- what personal information we collect about you
- how we obtain your personal information
- how we use your personal information
- who we share your personal information with
- how we protect your personal information
- how long we keep your personal information
- which countries we transfer your personal information to
- your rights regarding your personal information
For the purposes of data protection law, Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd Limited is the controller and responsible for your personal information (collectively referred to as “we”, “us” or “our” in this privacy notice).
Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd Limited is a limited company with company number 08760326 and registered office at C/O Shelley Stock Hutter Llp 1st Floor, 7 – 10 Chandos Street, London, W1G 9DQ. Our correspondence address is Dolphin House, Ormond Road, Richmond, United Kingdom, TW10 6TH. If you have any questions about this policy or our use of your personal information, please contact us in writing at the above address or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share information about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your relationship with us.
3.1 Personal information that we collect about you
We may collect, use, store and transfer personal information about you in the course of our business, including through your use of our website, when you contact or request information from us, when you buy goods from us, engage our services or as a result of your relationship with one or more of our staff and clients.
The personal information that we collect and process may include:
- Identity information – such as your name (including name prefix or title), the company you work for, your title or position;
- Contact information – such as your email address and telephone number
- Financial information – such as your payment card details (which we do not store) and billing address
- Technical information – such as information from your visits to our website, your browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website
- Information you provide to us for the purposes of attending meetings and events
- Personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients or generated by us in the course or providing services to them, which may include special categories of data
- Any other information relating to you which you may provide to us
- Marketing and communications information including your preferences in receiving marketing from us
Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with certain services). In this case, we may have to cancel the contract you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
3.1 i How we obtain your personal information
- We collect personal information from you when you register for and use our services;
- We collect personal information as part of our business acceptance and client identification processes and as necessary in the course of providing our services to you
- We collect personal information where we meet and exchange contact details or business cards
- We collect personal information from our connections on social media platforms such as LinkedIn
- We may receive personal information about you from third parties and by using publically available sources
3.1 ii How we use your personal information
We collect and process your personal information in a number of ways in the course of providing our services and in order to improve and develop our services, as follows:
- To provide and improve our services to you and to our clients, including handling the personal information of others on behalf of our clients
- To administer and protect our business and website, including for good governance, accounting, managing, auditing and monitoring purposes
- To conduct or support marketing, sociology and other research
- To provide information requested by you
- To update our records
- To promote our services, including sending updates, publications and details of events
- To manage and administer our relationship with you and our clients
- To contact you about your account and/or recovering a debt owed to us
- To fulfil our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations
- For recruitment purposes
- To protect our other legitimate interests
3.2 Our Services
We collect and process personal information in the course of and in connection with the services we provide to our clients. We will process certain information as part of our business acceptance, finance, administration and marketing processes. We will also process personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients for the purposes of the services we undertake, which are often tailored to particular personal requirements. With the exception of personal data, which has been anonymised for research purposes, the information will not be disclosed to third parties unless we are required to do so to comply with our legal obligations.
We use your personal information on the following bases:
- To perform a contract, such as engaging with an individual or a company to provide our services or sell our goods
- To comply with legal and regulatory obligations
- For our legitimate business purposes, including marketing, business development and administration, data analysis, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting, and to study how our services and products are used.
3.2 i Marketing
Generally we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal information other than (where this is required by law) in relation to sending direct marketing communications to you via email. If you receive marketing communications from us and no longer wish to do so you may unsubscribe at any time by contacting us using the links in our communications or the contact details at the start of this policy.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal information with any company outside of Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd for marketing purposes.
3.2 ii Meetings, events and workshops
We will collect and process personal information about you in relation to your attendance at our offices or at an event or workshops conducted or organised by Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd. We may share your personal information with IT and other service providers or business partners involved in organising the particular event.
3.2 iii Change of purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
3.2 iv Sharing your personal information
We do not share your personal information with third parties unless we are required to do so by law or where you have consented to us sharing your information. We may share your personal information with certain trusted third parties in accordance with certain contractual obligations that we have with them and to assist us in providing you with our services, including:
- IT service and cloud-based storage providers to Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd
- Third parties involved in hosting or organising events or seminars which you attend or register for
- Anyone where you have consented or where we are required to by law to share information
3.2 v The Survey and Reporting Tool
The Survey which has been developed by Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd and which is filled in by each participant, which contains an optional question about the participants’ ethnic background is stored on a third party platform (currently Typeform), who provide their services to us in accordance with their terms and conditions; however Matthew Syed Consulting Limited takes no responsibility for the security of Typeform’s systems and servers and the data collection and processing by them.
The final Reports that are created by Matthew Syed Consulting from the completed Surveys are stored on the company’s systems and not disclosed to third parties save for the cloud-based storage provider, which also provides services in accordance with terms and conditions.
3.3 How we protect your personal information
We have in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
3.4 How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means. We also take into account legal and regulatory requirements which require the retention of personal information for a minimum period of time, limitation periods for taking legal action, good practice and Matthew Syed Consulting Ltd’s general business purposes.
Where Surveys are completed by participants, the answers to each completed survey and the personality Reports generated from those are kept by us for up to six years. This is to enable the individuals or customers involved to re-take the Survey (or cause the Survey to be re-taken) after a period of time to see what personal progress has been achieved and what has changed in the participants’ personalities.
3.5 International transfers of personal information
Some of our external third parties may be based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal information may involve a transfer of information outside the EEA. Please see “Sharing your personal information” for more detail on how your personal information may be shared with third party service providers.
The level of information protection in countries outside the EEA may be less than that offered within the EEA. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to implement appropriate measures to ensure that your personal information remains protected and secure in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
3.6 Your rights regarding your personal information
You have certain rights under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulations and other data protection laws
in relation to your personal information. You can:
- request access to your personal information and information on how we process it
- request correction of the personal information that we hold about you
- ask us to delete your personal information
- object to us processing your personal information
- request the restriction of processing of your personal information
- request the transfer of your personal information to you or to a third party
- withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide our services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent. Please note that even after you have chosen to withdraw your consent we may be able to continue to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law, in particular in connection with exercising and defending our legal rights or meeting our legal and regulatory obligations.
Updating this Policy
We may update this Policy at any time. When we do, we will post the updated Policy on our Website and we will also revise the updated date at the bottom of this page. We encourage users to frequently check this page for any changes to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the personal information we hold.
Last updated : 23 May 2018